Wednesday 28 September 2011

Retro Videogaming: Commodore 64 (1982)

COMMODORE 64 - FROM RUBBER KEYS TO THE REAL THING

It was about Christmas 1985 when I got that first nagging urge to upgrade and so decided to put an advert in the window of a local ice cream shop. It was time to say goodbye to my little rubber keyed buddy, the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and move on to the next big thing. That next big thing being a Commodore 64. Now this was a proper computer with a proper keyboard. A couple of days after I had placed my advert, there was a knock on the door and the beloved Spectrum - and about a 100 original games - were sold for £50. That money then went towards buying a second hand Commodore 64 which belonged to a friend of a friend of a friend. Original box. Chunky manuals. Dedicated Cassette player. Classic Atari style two buttoned centre nub joystick. And a couple of games. Epyx's Summer Games 1 and Impossible Mission which tempted you to "Stay awhile. Stay forever!" Classic games with superb replayability. Especially Summer Games 1 where doing the "wankers waggle" 1500 metres nearly killed me the first time I tried it - much to the amusement of those watching.

Over the next couple of years more games were bought, traded, copied and sold to feed my C64 addiction. Magazines like Zzap 64 and Commodore User were required reading each month and I spent hours checking up on the next big releases for the machine. I even tried to figure out how to program on it and failing miserably. No matter. I loved the thing. Still do. Wish I'd kept it. Just a great all round fun machine - with a proper keyboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment