Saturday 23 July 2011

Retro Toys: JOE 90 Flying Car.

JOE90 - MAC'S CAR

One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the early 1970's Gerry Anderson marionette sci-fi action tv shows was the quality of the craft/ship/automotive design. Though I love the hardware in series like Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray, for me, the best is Mac's flying car from JOE90. Everything about it is aerodynamically wrong but looks so dammed right and cool. 

As a kid, I had the original Dinky boxed version which was labelled as "Joe's Car." and was just a superb replica with retractable wheels and wings. I wish I'd kept the bloody thing and not swapped it for something I can't remember. I sense a theme running here. It's called  "DOH !!!" syndrome...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! The best design from the Anderson shows in my opinion. Got the Dinky model no 102. Quality toy back then. Great collectable now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! The best design from the Anderson shows in my opinion. Got the Dinky model no 102. Quality toy back then. Great collectable now!

    ReplyDelete