Friday 5 August 2011

Electric Snapshot:: IT'S A KNOCKOUT (1968 - 88)

THE UNFLAPPABLE STUART HALL and FRIEND from BBC TV's CLASSIC "IT'S A KNOCKOUT!"

I loved this show. I loved it so much I can hardly put into words how much I loved it. Thinking back, if ever there was a television show that defined the seventies it was IT'S A KNOCKOUT. Saturday nights were scheduled around this madcap game show where a bunch of people from different towns or cities dressed up in silly costumes and competed against each other to win an opportunity to represent the UK in the international version, Jeux San Frontieres. It was just a completely bonkers show. 

But what made the show for me was the presenter, the utterly insane Stuart Hall (pictured above) His passion and childish enthusiasm for the show was infectious enough but it was his regular lapses into corpsing giggle fits that made him a God among mere mortals. Once he started hyper ventilating with laughter watching a bunch of sopping wet penguins running around a rotating platform trying to collect water in a bucket - I was gone too. No show has ever made me laugh so hard before or since. Brilliant. A true classic.


No comments:

Post a Comment